An angel landed from the sky when Martine, ‘The Skin Goddess‘ came into my life right at the exact time when I was in a really bad place from my severe adult acne. My skin was totally transformed and today I can confidently go out without wearing make-up. All the time I am complimented on my ‘glow’. Yes, it is from living a healthy lifestyle, but a lot of it can also go to having a skin specialist who has 25 years experience, and is also qualified in herbal medicine and aromatherapy. So, your in luck, because I have teamed up with her to answer the most common beauty questions, from a professional and holistic point of view.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN REASONS WHY YOU SEE YOUR CLIENTS BREAKING OUT?
Mainly a combination of internal and external factors;
- Hormonal imbalance
- Mineral deficiency (especially zinc)
- Food intolerance (gluten, sugar, dairy)
- Gut problems, inadequate digestion
- Suffering from high stress levels, lack of sleep or anxiety (these all affect your hormonal production)
- Using the wrong products on your skin
- Not using your products correctly
- Not cleansing twice when you have make-up on
- Not removing your make-up off before bed
- Poor quality products
- Not regularly disinfecting make-up brushes and sponges
- Touching your cheeks and chin from your phone causing bacteria to harbor
- Touching your face too much with your hands
- Not changing pillowslips regularly (turn over your pillows twice then wash)
After analyzing the causes of my clients breakouts, I often refer them to a naturopath for internal issues and deficiencies. I then provide you with a correct home routine and in salon treatments.
WHAT ARE SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO TO PREVENT DRY SKIN?
First of all we must determine the cause. It would again be internal and external factors as the skin is an organ and reflects our health. The condition of your skin will tell you what is going on. Dryness can be prevented by:
- Drinking water
- Adequate EFAS (essential fatty acids) in your diet
- Correct skin care routine, including regular but not too much exfoliation
- Protecting the skin from the sun and wind
If the skin becomes dry after following the proper advice some in salon treatments such as LED Light Therapy can of help.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON MISTAKES YOU’VE SEEN YOUR CLIENTS DO TO THEIR SKIN?
It comes down to skin education and wrong advice. Mainly I see impaired acid matters (skin barriers) from over exfoliating with harsh scrubs and stripping cleansers. This will cause a reaction of no protection of the skin barrier, irritation, allergic reactions and sensitivity.
Many products have harsh chemicals, such as additives of parabens and sulphates. That is why it’s so important to look for “No Nasties”.
Another big mistake I see is long term damage of little or no sun protection from childhood and teenage years, especially in the beach side area.
WHAT ARE YOUR THREE ULTIMATE STEPS IN ACHIEVING GLOWING AND RADIANT SKIN?
A correct home care routine. (80% of results are from daily use of products, therefore proffesional guidance is recommended).
Adequate rest, exercise and a good diet (and no smoking!).
Constant sun protection in all seasons.
Martine Renwick, The Skin Goddess
For more information, visit https://www.theskingoddess.com.au/