Sometimes all we want in life is to live wild and free on an island in Hawaii somewhere. How happy, healthy and energetic we would be. But that’s not reality. Life gets in the way a lot and by the end of the day there is only little time for yourself.
I don’t work a 9-5 job but I work in hospitality and do as many as 9-10 hours a day sometimes. So I definitely know what its like to be overwhelmed and exhausted at times. I start work at 11am and will get home at around 8-10pm. But throughout most days and nights while working, I still feel energized.
How do I do this? How do I stay energetic? How do I stay happy? How do I find balance?
Well the most important thing that fuels me through these times is what I put into my body and how I use my body. I believe a clean diet, regular exercise and a bit of inner spirituality time is the most important key to find balance. If you let your health slide your energy levels will decrease which will then impact your life, followed by making you extremely stressed out. Stress hurts your health and relationships, which will then hurt your career.
“Okay, but how on earth do I stay healthy all the time when i’m so busy?” you ask.
In order to keep track on my healthy diet, preparation is the key. Before you go to the supermarket, make sure you know what you are going to buy. Set aside a few hours a week to prep your meals and snacks. If there is a local healthy café nearby your work or house, make a habit of going there to order healthy options so you don’t have to prepare every meal of the day. When you do cook a healthy dinner, make a huge batch of it, so you have leftovers for lunch and dinners for the next few days. Make half a dozen sandwich bags and fill them with your smoothie/juice ingredients and place in freezer so they are ready to blend in the morning. Fill a jar with natural yogurt (my favorite is Probiotic coconut kefir yogurt), oats, berries, protein powder, nuts, chia seeds, squeezed lemon juice and anything else you want and leave in the fridge overnight ready to have in the morning. The best snacks to keep me going throughout the day is fruit, nuts, organic bars, organic cold pressed juices, green/herbal teas and smoothies.
Here is an example of the snacks that I bring with me on long days of work:
If you want to get up early the next morning to exercise, treat yourself to a big, nourishing meal to prepare your body for the morning. If you pressed snooze on your alarm and did not exercise in the morning, either do it after work or quickly do a high intensity workout for 10 minutes or my favorite, yoga! I try not let myself get too stressed for not exercising: as long as I make healthy choices that day I will still feel energized. After a few days of clean eating and regular exercise you will start waking up with more energy and you will find the willpower to avoid processed and unhealthy foods and beverages. (For anyone starting out; headaches and feeling a bit sluggish is normal for the first few days of cutting out unhealthy foods/drinks; your body is just detoxing)
Even though moving your body is great, you will need some rest. Especially if you have an active job. On your next day off, go for a walk to a beautiful place nearby, put your headphones in and forget about your troubles. For that extra ‘you’ time, put on some relaxing music, fill your room with the scent of lavender or rose, take a few deep breaths, pamper yourself and have a cup of herbal tea. Your body will truly thank you. Every evening after work I try to fit in some de-stressing time and will include any of the above. Applying a few drops of essential oil to my palm and massaging it into my temples instantly soothes me- and it only takes 1 minute.
“Surround yourself with the dreamers, and the doers, the believers and thinkers, but most of all surround yourself with those who see greatness within you” (Source unknown)- A great quote that I truly believe in. Luckily for me my partner Alex, my family and my close friends support me on my journey. My twin sister Genevieve was the one who inspired me to start writing this blog; something that I thought I would never be good enough at. If you have anyone in your life that brings you down, let go of them now and hold on tight to the people on the same mission as you.
Being mindful of all these aspects in your life and addressing each individual area will give you balance. Even though I believe in healthy eating, I believe it should be 80% of the time. The other 20% I allow myself a ‘treat’ meal or snack because we can’t eat like rabbits or cavemen forever. Everyone is different and it’s a matter of finding what works for you the best. I am still trying to figure out the best foods for myself! It might take you a while to find the right food plan or way of exercise; there is a big path waiting for you to travel on which will include slip ups but the destination is looking pretty good up here so never give up!