What is a juice cleanse?
Juice cleansing, also known as ‘juice fasting’, is a fasting method and a detox diet in which a person consumes only fruit and vegetable juices to obtain nutrition while otherwise abstaining from food consumption. Juice fasts may last anywhere from a few days to several weeks depending on the individuals needs/goals.
Some of the positive the benefits from juice cleansing:
- Gives your body a physiological rest
- Aids weight loss
- Adaptable to a busy life
- Improves your mental clarity
- Improves the state of your skin
- Educates your body to consume food only when needed
- Improves your dietary habits
- Gives your digestion system a break
- Rids the body of toxins, giving it an internal shower and cleanse
- Can be used to source food allergies
- Has been a common practice since the beginning of mans existence
Things to be aware of:
- Juicing should not replace your whole diet, it is a short term benefit and should only last two days to a week, nothing more.
- You should consult your doctor if your are on medication or have any serious illnesses.
- You may have side effects such as headaches, excessive gas or feeling of weakness, this is called a ‘healing crisis’. These symptoms will fade away as the toxins pass.
My experience from my two day juice cleanse…
For a long time now I had always wanted to perform a juice cleanse, for my own health reasons, and for the great benefits from it such as reducing the ‘bloat’ in your stomach, and getting rid of any toxins that may be clogging my ‘pipes’. I had always put it off as I thought it was going to be too hard. But one morning, I woke up, and for breakfast had a fresh cold pressed juice. Then I thought to myself, ‘Hey, you know what, why don’t you do a juice cleanse today‘. And then one thing led to another, and I decided to make it two days.
The result? Easier than I thought it was going to be!
But I’m not going to lie, It was hard at times. But my will power was feeling very high and I told myself to get through it.
- At times I felt a bit weak, I had to work during these two days so that didn’t help either. My body was not feeling as strong as it should of been
- I did obtain feelings of hunger at times- especially being around food and seeing images of food
- My protein consumption would have been very low so my muscles were very sore for a few days from exercising. Usually muscle recovery is pretty quick for me.
- I did feel a bit ‘out of it’ at times and was not 100% mentally alert.
- Needing to go to the bathroom too many times! Ha!
- One of the most beneficial outcome for me was the motivation to stay on a healthy path for the days after. It is so easy to get off track and go on a junk food bender, for me it really zapped me back into place to continue making healthy choices everyday.
- My sugar cravings were gone after completing the cleanse.
- I felt so hydrated throughout the day as I consumed plenty of water throughout the cleanse.
- All of the ‘bloat’ feeling in my stomach- gone after the first day.
- Learning to appreciate the taste of food more.
- Adopting a ‘glow’ to the skin after the juice cleanse.
Overall I felt like I got positive results from fasting and would definitely do it again, only for one day though as I believe I do not really need to go on for more days as I have a pretty healthy lifestyle and do not want to put my sugar levels in overdrive. I would definitely like to do a one day juice cleanse per month in the next year of 2016. I don’t know how I would of gone if I had of fasted for three days- but I have heard positive and negative feedback from people doing it for three days.
I would certainly recommend a juice cleanse for anyone, especially if you have digestion issues or have just been unhealthy for too long and want to start a holistic healthy lifestyle. If you begin a juice cleanse and then change your diet habits- I recommend staying 100% healthy for a few days leading up to your cleanse so you don’t go crazy or get very high withdrawal symptoms. It’s also important to chose the right juices- fresh pressed organic juices that have a shorter expiry date- you want more vegetables rather than fruit to decrease the sugar intake.
If you have been wanting to do a juice cleanse but keep putting it off like I did- stop procrastinating and do it now! See how you go and hopefully you achieve the same positive results.
Good luck 🙂